Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Shantytown


We visited a shanty settlement outside Durban today and distributed some of the food parcels we packed the other day. This was disturbing and humbling. These people have nothing. No electricity, no running water. No heat. They were so thankful for what we gave them. It was almost to much.
   There toilet for over thirtyfive families is a jonny on the spot the goverment cleans out occasionally. They have one tap for all those people.
   Valdene and I wondered how we could help these people. What can you give them that would really improve there lives? One lady, who has HIV lives there with her child. She told me she has lived there for 6 years. Its overwhelming to me to see that kind of poverty. That was life changing and I'm still processing it.I'll post more pictures later.
   This is what I see everywhere. This settlement is right across the street from some fairly nice houses.

No comments:

Post a Comment